- Examples of sound
- The mechanism of landmine detection is to ensonify the ground with an acoustic source and measure the intensity of the returning sound waves.
- This café likes to Frenchify the names of its dishes to make them sound better than they actually are — they call their fish and chips "poisson-frites".
- For which the Germans gutturize a sound. — Coleridge.
- Sound off like you got a pair! (drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket)
- I heard a sound from outside the window.
- R is the dog's letter, and hurreth in the sound. — Ben Jonson.
- The sound of fingernails on a chalkboard just makes my skin crawl.
- Solid bodies, if they be very softly percussed, give no sound.
- The sound of the brass band resounded through the town.
- Examples of sounds
- The members’ real innovation is their embrace of a Finnish polkalike genre called humppa, which sounds — well, like it sounds, more or less.
- Much more sweeping were the reforms proposed by Sir Thomas Smith (1568), who understandably but wrong-mindedly wanted letter forms to be “pictures” of speech sounds, that is, to have an iconic relationship to the sounds.
- Examples of sounded
- She sounded impersonal as she gave her report of the Nazi death camps.
- The English band Crass sounded like a bag of rocks: scrabbly drum rolls, clanky guitars, no bass end, the words a jabbery Cockney caterwaul through endless stanzas of common meter.
- But Obama sounded like a cross between a social activist and a flannel-shirted software C.E.O. as a nonhierarchical, collaborative leader who can inspire autonomous individuals to cooperate for the sake of common concerns.
- After my father had a stroke, every time he tried to talk, it sounded like nonsense.
- The pitch pipe sounded out a perfect F♯ (F sharp).
- He sounded good when we last spoke.
- The "e" in "house" isn't sounded.
- The whale sounded and eight hundred feet of heavy line streaked out of the line tub before he ended his dive.
- When I sounded him, he appeared to favor the proposed deal.
- Examples of sounding
- The sounding bell woke me up.
- The sailor took a sounding every five minutes
- Little Mary was sounding very sleepy, so I tucked her in bed.
- “It looked like she had definitely been wearing nail polish for two weeks,” Ms. Diamond said, sounding distinctly unhorrified.
- At the same instant the sounding gallopade of hoofs came from the tranquil roadway leading to the stables.
- Dad was the owner of a gold Ford Cortina with a black go-faster stripe and a raunchy-sounding engine.
Examples of sounded in a Sentence
- en sounded out