- Examples of raise
- John asked for a raise, but he ended up with SFA.
- We know them as farmers and skilled craftspeople, with high standards and an unfussy sensibility that they bring to the barns they raise, the baked goods they sell at greenmarkets and the quilts and furniture they produce.
- If you raise, you're probably going to force players with second pair or a gut shot to fold, so your best option is to call.
- “How many of you guys got a hooptee, raise your hand?”
- Or will Bella choose Jake, and raise a litter of dark-haired werepups?
- "Without house-price inflation and having written down their landbanks, it is no surprise that these two companies look as if they need to raise cash," said Mark Hughes, Panmure Gordon's housebuilding sector analyst.
- But the Fed could use its postmeeting statement to strengthen expectations that it is on course to raise rates for the first time since the Great Recession when the committee next meets in September.
- Examples of raises
- The comparison to “Gatsby” raises some uncomfortable questions: What if a man with such tortuously denied desires rose up not in clear proximity of the American Dream but far from it, in a prospectless and corrupt society?
- Not only does he curate for the museum, he manages the office and fund-raises.
- The player to your left immediately raises you the minimum by clicking the raise button. This action immediately suggests that he's on a draw
- She raises registered Dalmatians at her kennel.
- “If KSR raises the bar for nonobviousness, Judge Stein may need to rethink his conclusion that the Plavix patent is not obvious,” said C. Scott Hemphill, an associate professor of law at Columbia University .
- The use of trichinopoly wirework (which was also employed on the 'safety chain' for the Tara brooch) raises the question of the date of the Gaulcross hoard of Pictish silver from Grampian.
- Every time I hear him talk, he just raises my hackles.
- As backwater from Lake Erie raises the level of Lake St. Clair, so backwater from Lake St. Clair raises the level of Lake Michigan-Huron.
- Examples of raised
- Chew with your mouth shut — were you raised in a barn?
- A few important questions were raised after the attack.
- John bet, and Julie raised, requiring John to put in more money.
- Two raised to the fifth power equals 32.
- The road from Periwegon to Ananbaw was resectioned and raised in places.
- The Sir Vival also had a raised driver’s cabin with seat belts, a padded interior and built-in rollbars.
- They had three seatings and too many people. So, we raised our prices and kept it to two seatings.
- The sharp sign indicates that the pitch of the note is raised a half step.
- His lack of mastery of the social graces made it obvious he was not raised in fine society.
- Examples of raising
- 1920 The Reds were raising an awful howl. Andrews, the lawyer, had succeeded in getting a court order to see the arrested men, and of course the prisoners had all declared that the case was a put-up job. — Upton Sinclair, 100%: The Story of a Patriot, §54.
- Nasalization feeds raising.
- Contingency is handled by, for example, managers and nurses, through feedforwarding, that is, by acting anticipatively, and thereby raising the prospect of modifying not just the practical means toward an end, but of modifying the end itself.
- The capital raising has been forced by plummeting ferrochrome prices which slumped after Chinese mills cut 55 per cent from the price of the alloy used to make stainless steel.
- Myths and religions often ascribe natural forces to supernatural beings, as acts of (a) god(s) or hero(es) shaking the earth, raising a storm or flood etc.
- to help at a raising
- The students were out raising funds for rag week.
Examples of raised in a Sentence