place ExamplesEN[pleɪs] [-eɪs]
- Examples of place
- To make a storage place for a watering hose, bury a length of wide pipe bell end up. Popular Science - October 1948 - Page 237
- The newspaper accounts show that several attempts were made, and not without success in two or three instances, to deprive la belle sabreuse of the points she had made, and to place her hors de combat.
- Betacism is a fairly common phenomenon: it has taken place in Greek, Hebrew, and Spanish, among others.
- He's in a better place now.
- a place within the bills of mortality of London
- The place you are looking for is two long blocks east and one short block north.
- The power switch wasn't seated properly, and so I blu-tacked it into place.
- Wind the bobbin, place it in the machine, and raise the thread.
- Examples of places
- In many places, Acadian has been supplanted by English and by Standard French.
- an ambulatory court, which exercises its jurisdiction in different places
- Shaped by a strongly anticommercial ideology, it places too much emphasis on the division between giving and selling.
- Federalism itself is an antimajoritarian mechanism for, by devolving power to smaller constituencies, it places some policy issues beyond the reach of the center's majority.
- But the antinationalist demonstrations that followed Mr. Dink’s killing also surfaced in places as diverse as Izmir, the Aegean coastal city that is Turkey’s third largest, and in Sanliurfa and Hatay, which are close to Turkey’s eastern border with Syria.
- In a 3-to-2 vote, town officials in Brattleboro passed an emergency antinudity ordinance for main roads and near schools and places of worship.
- The young pantheon had remanded their elders to the role of smouldering, chthonic gods; to inhabiting dark, deep places, hidden from mortal eyes and influence.
- Examples of placed
- Run Ragged was placed fourth in the race.
- I placed ten dollars on the Lakers beating the Bulls.
- Native basalt was ground especially and mixed with concrete [ …] to form handsome deep gray blocks (18" x 18") which were placed in sand, the wide joints being planted to ponyfoot
- The low price of reimports has placed competitive pressure on local producers.
- He placed his hands on the arm rests of the chair.
- The shagger is placed in this position to avoid the danger of his being hit by a batted ball.
- In the third race: Aces Up won, paying eight dollars; Blarney Stone placed, paying three dollars; and Cinnamon showed, paying five dollars.
- Examples of placing
- On a tramway installation, drag the haul rope through each intermediate tower, placing it in the snatch block as the tower is passed to lighten the load.
- I checked the prices on the ticker one last time before placing the trade.
- The loader is responsible for placing the work on the trays for the plating machines.
- Placing his hand on the doorknob he could hear his father's indignant voice: "If he's no job he can damn well sling his hook, he's not living under my roof free gratis, I want him out."
- Its highest-concept blockbuster to date, Inside Out (Disney, U), dares to literalise this process, guiding viewers’ feelings by personifying them, placing them at the centre of a narrative they’d usually accompany.
- They include photograms, noncamera images made by placing random objects (eyeglasses, hand tools, light bulbs) on light-sensitive paper.
Examples of place in a Sentence