furnish ExamplesEN[ˈfɝnɪʃ] [ˈfɜːnɪʃ]
- Examples of furnish
- Smith’s diene is quite a reactive dienophile, reacting with cyclopentadiene in refluxing chloroform to furnish a mixture of stereoisomeric adducts by exclusive reaction at the β-face of the cyclobutene π-center.
- This enabled an unconscientious builder to furnish bulky architectural masses, which presented a specious aspect of solidity and looked more costly than they really were.
- to furnish a family with provisions; to furnish the mind with ideas
- How he has escaped marriage until now I cannot tell: the number of caps set in his direction would furnish a warehouse. — Patrick O'Brian, "HMS Surprise".
- If that be all, then cheare thy drooping lookes, For I will furnish thee with such supplies: Let some of those thy followers goe with me, And they shall haue what thing so ere thou needst.
- Examples of furnishes
- A work is objectively tedious when it contains the defect in question; that is to say, when its author has no perfectly clear thought or knowledge to communicate. For if a man has any clear thought or knowledge in him, his aim will be to communicate it, and he will direct his energies to this end; so that the ideas he furnishes are everywhere clearly expressed. The result is that he is neither diffuse, nor unmeaning, nor confused, and consequently not tedious.
- Examples of furnished
- A dull room fadedly furnished. — Dickens.
- the pommel is furnished with dees.
- fully-furnished efficiencies
- It took a lot of effort to find a decent-sized, fully-furnished apartment within walking distance of the office. He made a conscious effort to not appear affected by the stories in the paper.
- IT is deſigned, that the Countery ſhall be furnished once a moneth ( or if any Glut of Occurrences happen, oftener, ) with an Account of ſuch conſiderable things as have arrived unto our Notice.
- Of cheese and butter we had a sufficient supply; and the yellow corn-meal which we had brought for the teams furnished sheetful after sheetful of johnny-cake, which Aunt Olive split, toasted, and buttered well, as a groundwork for the white monkey.
- Examples of furnishing
- The furnishing of this Blue Room was solid and Victorian, it having been the GHQ of my Uncle Tom's late father, who liked things substantial. There was a four-poster bed, [...]
- casting couch: This refers to the alleged practice by some Hollywood producers and directors of furnishing an office with a couch, upon which would-be actresses perform special services in return for casting consideration...
Examples of furnish in a Sentence