- Examples of amount
- His miscomputation of the amount of tax he owed increased his tax bill.
- The drug is known as "seven-monther" – the amount of time it takes to kill.
- Relying on Qur'an, Sura II, verse 236, Nasir (1990a, p. 144; 1990b, pp. 96-98) shows that the amount of mutat is a matter of goodwill and of custom.
- “As a result,” the letter stated, “you received an overissuance of food stamps in the amount of $0.”
- They will donate all proceeds—the entire amount collected in ticket sales—from the show to charity.
- election returns; a return of the amount of goods produced or sold
- Such a change could amount to a seismic shift in the nation’s electoral dynamics, potentially springboarding a Republican into the White House, and the possibility has animated hopeful Republicans and fearful Democrats.
- I've structured the deal to limit the amount of money we can lose.
- Examples of amounts
- Analysts are skeptical about the way China's stocks are valued, particularly those like PetroChina with huge amounts of untradable government shares.
- The dogs need different amounts of food.
- It amounts to three dollars and change.
- Some of the products contained small amounts of bimatoprost, an ingredient in the anti-glaucoma drug Lumigan, which is manufactured by Allergan.
- Although Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis are chronic, they are characterized by periods of remission that last for varying amounts of time, interrupted by flare-ups, when symptoms of the disease become more evident.
- Mild carbonation, grassy, mineral flavors, tangy fruitness and occasional spicy and nutlike flavors — in restrained amounts, mind you — are all part of the bitters identity.
- Folk remedies for upset stomach, including azarcon and greta among Hispanics, ba-baw-san among Chinese or ghasard among Indians, may contain large amounts of lead.
- Many foods that seem exotic for New England are turning up in small amounts at more and more farms: kohlrabi, hakurei turnips, okra, edamame, Jerusalem artichokes, ground cherries and quince.
- Examples of amounted
- The catch amounted to five tons of swordfish.
- The suspects' hostile interrogation amounted to a public crucifixion.
- At that time, before sublineation had become significant for the local group, banishment would have amounted to dismissing a troublesome individual and his wife and children, rather than an entire sublineage consisting of several families ...
- the relatives who had been helping slipped away as I grew older, attriting for various reasons that all amounted to the same reason.
- 1776: Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations — The capital which had been subscribed to this bank, at two different subscriptions, amounted to one hundred and sixty thousand pounds, of which eighty per cent only was paid up.
- Even worse than the sand, though, was the grassy bank that comes down between the bunkers, where the rough was so thick it amounted to bogeyland.
- Examples of amounting
- [Aunt Dahlia] had done Wilbert well where sleeping accommodation was concerned. What he had drawn when clocking in at Brinkley Court was the room known as the Blue Room, a signal honour to be accorded to a bachelor guest, amounting to being given star billing, for at Brinkley, as at most country-houses, any old nook or cranny is considered good enough for the celibate contingent. My own apartment, to take a case in point, was a sort of hermit's cell in which one would have been hard put to it to swing a cat, even a smaller one than Augustus, not of course that one often wants to do much cat-swinging.
Examples of amounts in a Sentence
Other VocabularyLook-Alike Words