nano- meaningEN[ˈnænəʊ] [ˈnænoʊ]
- Nano- (symbol n) is a unit prefix meaning one billionth. Used primarily with the metric system, this prefix denotes a factor of 10−9 or 0.000000001. It is frequently encountered in science and electronics for prefixing units of time and length.
- One nanometer is about the length that a fingernail grows in one second.
- Three gold atoms lined up are about one nanometer long.
- If a toy marble were one nanometer wide, Earth would be about one meter (3.3 feet) wide.
- The prefix is derived from the Greek νᾶνος, meaning "dwarf", and was officially confirmed as standard in 1960.
Definition of nano- in English Dictionary
- Part-of-Speech Hierarchy