interval cycle meaningEN
- In music, an interval cycle is a collection of pitch classes created from a sequence of the same interval class.
- Interval cycles are notated by George Perle using the letter "C" (for cycle), with an interval class integer to distinguish the interval. Thus the diminished seventh chord would be C3 and the augmented triad would be C4.
- Here are interval cycles C1, C2, C3, C4 and C6:
- Interval cycles assume the use of equal temperament and may not work in other systems such as just intonation.
- Interval cycles are symmetrical and thus non-diatonic. However, a seven-pitch segment of C7 will produce the diatonic major scale:
Definition of interval cycle in English Dictionary
- Part-of-Speech Hierarchy