- (rare) The spirit; the soul of man.
- The disembodied soul; the soul or spirit of a deceased person; a spirit appearing after death; an apparition; a specter.
- Any faint shadowy semblance; an unsubstantial image; a phantom; a glimmering.
- A false image formed in a telescope, camera, or other optical device by reflection from the surfaces of one or more lenses.
- An unwanted image similar to and overlapping or adjacent to the main one on a television screen, caused by the transmitted image being received both directly and via reflection.
- A ghostwriter.
- (Internet) An unresponsive user on IRC, resulting from the user's client disconnecting without notifying the server.
- (computing) An image of a file or hard disk.
- (theater) An understudy.
- (espionage) A covert (and deniable) agent.
- The faint image that remains after an attempt to remove graffiti.
- (video games) An opponent in a racing game that follows a previously recorded route, allowing players to compete against previous best times.
- A dead person whose identity is stolen by another. See ghosting.
- (attributive, in names of species) White or pale.
- (attributive, in names of species) Transparent or translucent.
- (attributive) Abandoned.
- (attributive) The remains of.
- (attributive) Perceived or listed but not real.
- (attributive) Of cryptid, supernatural or extraterrestrial nature.
- (attributive) Substitute.
- (obsolete, transitive) To haunt; to appear to in the form of an apparition.
- (obsolete) To die; to expire.
- (transitive, intransitive) To ghostwrite.
- (nautical) To sail seemingly without wind.
- (computing) To copy a file or hard drive image.
- (graphical user interface) To gray out (a visual item) to indicate that it is unavailable.
- (Internet, transitive) To forcibly disconnect an IRC user who is using one's reserved nickname.
- To appear without warning; To move quickly and quietly; to slip.
Word of the day
Picture of the day
Sentence of the day
- This wheelbarrow has a loose wheel.